Rally to Stop Dirty Gas Drilling — Protect Air, Water, Earth and Human Health & Food Systems
This demonstration is in response to the Marcellus Shale Coalition’s conference in Philadelphia on Sept. 7th and 8th. CEOs from major fracking companies will be plotting to expand their poisonous operations in PA, NY, OH, MD, WV, VA, and NJ. Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett and former governors Tom Ridge and Ed Rendell will be speaking in support of the industry. Dubbed “Shale Gas Insight,” this is not only a key trade show for the industry, but also a brazen expression of its political muscle.
When: Wednesday, September 7, Noon – 2 PM (March follows until 3 PM)
Where: Center City Philadelphia, Arch St., between Broad and 13th Streets; In front of the Pennsylvania Convention Center
Rain or Shine!!!: In the event of inclement weather the rally will be held in a 1,200-person-capacity indoor venue within walking distance of the scheduled outdoor rally.
- Josh Fox, Director of the Oscar-nominated “Gasland”
- Craig & Julie Sautner, Dimock, PA
- Blondell Reynolds Brown, Philadelphia City Councilwoman
- Curtis Jones, Philadelphia City Councilman
- Doug Shields, Pittsburgh City Council President
- Al Appleton, internationally respected water systems expert
- Iris Marie Bloom, Protecting Our Waters
- Tracy Carluccio, Delaware Riverkeeper Network
- Jim Walsh, Food and Water Watch
- David Braun, United for Action
Additionally, lifting our spirits in such serious times will be:
- Welcoming songs from the powerful Rev. Rhetta Morgan
- Rebel Diaz, bilingual political hip-hop
- Beth Nixon, West Philly’s comic genius (and FJAR Member)
- The Band Called Fuse, underground rock & hip-hop
Stay tuned as we will post additional appearances here in the coming days!
Why: Maximizing the sheer numbers attending this rally on September 7th will show a broad-based popular movement that will not tolerate contamination of our air, water, and earth by dirty drilling, or the corruption of our politicians by industry money. We will demand that not one more family be poisoned by fracking and shale gas extraction.
Post source & more information at: ShaleGasOutrage.org.